I had not yet gone shopping for our 21 day Vegan fast that we were starting on the 10th of January when I realised it was the 10th of January and I needed to make Sunday lunch. We had just finally cleared out all the meat from the festive season in the fridge and it was empty. The ingredients in this recipe are literally all we had. It turned out to be a pretty delicious meal and favourite with all the people (my mom and dad who are big meat eaters) I have forced to join me on this fast. I hope you enjoy it too.
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2cm piece of ginger, minced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 green chillies
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1 can of black beans
- ½ cup frozen sweet corn
- Soy sauce for seasoning
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander
- In a pot heat the olive oil and add the onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger, tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, curry powder, and green chillies. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils and the sweet potato.
- Top up with 1L of water, cook until the lentils and sweet potato are cooked through.
- Add the sweet corn, soy sauce, and black beans and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and fresh coriander.
- Serve with bulgur wheat.
Some cooking tips
- You can use canned lentils to cut the cooking time if you like
- You can replace the 1L of water for 1L of vegetable stock
- I use the sweet potato as a thickening agent